Chinese Oak Silkmoth (Antheraea pernyi, Saturniidae)
The Chinese (Oak) Tussah Moth (or “Chinese Tasar Moth”) is originally from southern China but as it has been used for tussah silk (a wild silk) production, they have been distributed more widely across subtropical and tropical Asia.
The “pupils” of the four eyes on the wings are translucent and scaleless so held up against a light, they appear like bullet holes.
Tussah silk is the best-known and most widely used of all the wild silks. Moths have been raised outdoors on oak trees in China for more than two millennia. The natural color of the silk is a pinkish beige but depends on the climate and soil. In the 1970s and 1980s China expanded tussah sericulture to most of its provinces, but has since abandoned these efforts in the South. Tussah is now primarily grown in the Northeast, in the provinces of Shandong, Liaoning, and Hebei. It was introduced into Japan in 1877 where it was cultivated locally on a small scale in the 20th century. Tussah silk is also raised in both Koreas.
Final Instar Chinese Oak Silkmoth Caterpillar (Antheraea pernyi)
Because it is so easy to rear, Antheraea pernyi has been used in laboratories around the world to study diapause, endocrinology, and other aspects of insect physiology.
The reeled silk has a smooth sheen like domestic silk, but the rougher spun silk is highly favored by designers of high-end fashion to make women’s and men’s suits, blazers, dresses, shirts, scarves, and other garments and accessories. Sometimes tussah is blended with cotton or synthetic fibres. Tussah silk floss is also used in quilting to make duvets.
On a more technical note, Antheraea pernyi silk has more similar sequences to spider dragline silk than the silk from its domestic counterpart, Bombyx mori. Spider dragline silk exhibits exceptional strength, toughness, and resistance to mechanical compression, properties that rival those of synthetic high-performance fibres such as Kevlar. Consequently, there is a wide spread interest in mimicking natural silks in order to produce new classes of high-performance materials and tussah silk has potential as a resource for biospinning spider dragline silk.
by Sinobug (itchydogimages) on Flickr.
Pu’er, Yunnan, China
See more Chinese butterflies and moths, pupae and their larvae on my Flickr site HERE…..
Q:hey seto will make a contract with me
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU
KagePro songs in one sentence
- Artificial Enemy: Hey Shitnaro my potential love interest is dead too wanna hang
- Mekakushi Code: My name is Kido these are my homies and we live in a screwed up world
- Imagination Forest: I wanna see the world really bad- WAIT I'M NOT READY FOR THIS
- Heat-Haze Days: Fuck she died again how long have we been doing this a decade
- Konoha's State of the World: Did they bring me back to life just to watch these kids die I mean goddamn how long have they even been doing this a decade
- Headphone Actor: Everyone is dying around me but I gotta cross that hill man I gOTTA
- Kisaragi Attention: STOP LOOKING AT ME GODDAMMIT oh hey friendship is radical why didn't I think of this before
- Children Record: come on boys and girls we're on a scavenger hunt for hope in the heat
- Yobanashi Deceive: Whoops I lied
- Lost Time Memory: I gotta move on but if it means forgetting her then fuck it I'll just fistbump Konoha every once in a while
- Ayano's Theory of Happiness: I am big sister Ayano and I have to commit suicide to save my friends from my dad
- Otsukimi Recital: HIBIYA I'M GOING TO ANNOY YOU UNTIL YOU CHEER THE HELL UP
- Yuukei Yesterday: I hate everyone but I kinda don't hate Haruka- shit he's dead gotta run past the hill
- Outer Science: Goddammit Kuroha
- Tomei Answer: Paper cranes and emotional pain
- Gunjou Rain: Mary's mom is the bomb diggity dang
- Shonen Brave: I was bullied as a kid bUT LOOK AT ME NOW
- Dead and Seek: My name is Kenjirou and I fucked up
- Mary's Fictional World: If you guys could stop dying for like .5 seconds so I can reset that'd be great
- Shinigami Record: Tsukihiko you were so late to the party you NEVER CAME
- Ene's Cyber Journey: Looks like I'm a computer program how did this even happen
- Summertime Record: I can't really remember you guys but I'll keep drawing what I do until we meet again
Full-scale Portal turret
AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO WANTS TO STICK THIS THING LIKE IN A PUBLIC RESTROOM OR AROUND A CORNER IN SOME HALLWAY OR SOMETHING AND JUST WATCH THE LOOK PEOPLE’S FACES WHEN THEY RUN INTO IT
The most evil place to put it would be in a dark hallway at a University games design dept. Full of half-asleep people who know exactly what it is.
"Shiiiiiiit!" *leaps back around the corner*
"ARE YOU STILL THERE~?"
I NEED 10000 OF THESE
Always to be reblogging Aperture Science technologies
This is a truly amazing story of twin sisters separated at birth who discovered each other at age 25 through social media (see Facebook message above in which Anais reached out to Samantha for the first time). One lives in London and the other in L.A. and the two have shared a close bond since meeting. They recently took a trip together to their birthplace, Seoul, Korea, and now they’re hoping to make a film together about their story. Check out their kickstarter campaign here. Story via buzzfeed.
The Midnight Planétarium watch was a collaboration between Van Cleef & Arpels and Christiaan van der Klaauw. The watch is made of 396 separate parts and features the six closest planets orbiting the sun in real time (Uranus and Neptune were left out because you probably won’t live long enough to see either one complete a full orbit).
I WANT IT!!